Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy what you find here. Whilst you may not agree with everything I post, if you respect my right to my opinion I'll respect your right to disagree with it and we should get along just fine. :)

Disclaimer: the views expressed by the characters in these works may not necessarily represent the views of the author. Got that? Good.

Right then, on with the blog...

Monday 11 April 2011

Emma Newman on Tour


As I sit here listening to the heavy rain bouncing off my windowsill, my mind is drawn back to the splendid sunshine of yesterday and to the lovely couple of hours I spent in the company of Emma Newman at her book signing event in Sunderland.

Emma recently released her anthology of short stories, From Dark Places, and as part of her book launch and tour she kindly agreed to make the trek up to the north east for a signing.


Emma Newman looking suitably enigmatic behind the cover
of her anthology of short stories, From Dark Places.


Over the next few weeks, Emma will be appearing at events in London and the southwest, if you can spare her a couple of hours of your time you won't be disappointed.

As part of the event, we were treated to a reading of The Letter, one of the From Dark Places stories, and a personal favourite of mine.

Emma reading "The Letter," one of the From Dark Places stories
at her Sunderland book signing.

From Dark Places is an eclectic mix of twenty-five wonderfully dark stories, some shot through with humour, and all told in Emma's inimitable style. What makes them all the more special is the stories were inspired by prompts given by members of Emma's Short Story Club; if you haven't signed up yet, you really should. I'll wait, it'll only take you a moment...

...You're back? Good. Here's the rear cover blurb:

Abby finds a creative solution to her father’s problems. Ben makes a pact with the Devil for a new Mum. Katie is pursued by unrelenting voices. John just found his colleague’s hand in a strange girl’s lap. Jarvis is falling apart on his wedding day. Rosalind comes face-to-face with her number one fan. And that is just the beginning.

E.J. Newman’s debut anthology is a dark and twisting journey across the urban landscape, mining the rich seam of human frailties with insight and humour. The stories traverse the magical and the mundane, where supernatural beings are indistinguishable from their mortal counterparts in their complexity and complicity.

Edited by Jodi Cleghorn, writer, managing editor of Chinese Whisperings and joint owner of eMergent Publishing along with UK writer Paul Anderson, From Dark Places is published by eMergent Publishing in the UK and Australia and is available in both ebook and print formats from Emma's website.

Emma Newman signing books at the Sunderland event.

From Dark Places gives an excellent introduction to Emma's work ahead of the publication in July of her debut novel, 20 Years Later. Published by Dystopia Press, 20 Years Later is a Young Adult tale of life in a post-apocalyptic future London, and can be pre-ordered now from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com.



Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

Icy Sedgwick said...

Wish I could have been there.

Sam said...

I do too. You'd have been more than welcome, and it would have been lovely to meet you in person.

Laura Eno said...

You're so lucky to have been there! Color me green.
I've read her book and it's wonderful! I can't wait for 20 Years Later to come out.

Laurita said...

How cool to have been there. I haven't read the book yet. I must remedy that...

Sam said...

Laura: I felt incredibly privileged to be there, and yes, you're right, Emma's book is wonderful; I was up most of last night reading it. :)

Laurita: It was awesome! You haven't read the book yet? Oh, you're in for a treat when you do.

Caroline said...

Aaah, how lovely. Well done for organising it. Wish I could have been there (it would have been great to meet you, too) but roll on London or Oxford or Bath!

Sam said...

Caroline: It would have been lovely to meet you too. :)

Emma Newman said...

Thanks for this Sam, and all the lovely comments too! Laura, the new edition has 14 more stories...

Icy and Caroline, I'm looking forward to seeing you both at the other launches :o)

Laura Eno said...

Emma - I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails