Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy what you find here. Whilst you may not agree with everything I post, if you respect my right to my opinion I'll respect your right to disagree with it and we should get along just fine. :)

Disclaimer: the views expressed by the characters in these works may not necessarily represent the views of the author. Got that? Good.

Right then, on with the blog...

Thursday 18 June 2009

Retailer Review: PenGallery.com


I've just had another delivery - the Lamy Safari Special Edition in White (F nib) I've been expecting.

I'd seen this particular fountain pen online and had decided I (wanted) needed one, but couldn't find any for love nor money in the UK. JetPens and the rest of the usual suspects were out of stock of this particular colour, and it was only a chance viewing of a thread on the Fountain Pen Network that lead me to give PenGallery a try.

Now I'm fairly used to ordering from US companies as it's difficult to get the interesting stuff in the UK, but this would be the first time I'd ordered anything from as far afield as Malaysia, and I'll admit to being a little skeptical. Having said that, the price quoted for the Safari was rather good ($21 USD including a bottled ink converter), my pen would be delivered by courier (either DHL or FedEx) and was therefore theoretically trackable online, and shipping was only $18 USD; $18 USD for a courier all the way from Malaysia to the UK?!

There again, at that sort of price I figured it was worth a punt, so I put an order in and waited...

A couple of days later I had a nice email from Stella advising me of a slight delay to my order as they were awaiting stock and I'll admit to a slight wobble, but I needn't have worried as a couple of days after the original email I had another (complete with tracking number and link to the courier's website) advising me of the dispatch of my order.

Well, the DHL courier arrived yesterday, so that's three days door-to-door from Malaysia to the UK, or approx 0.3 cents per mile for shipping (if I've done my sums right) [edit: which I hadn't, calculation now corrected], the Safari arrived securely packaged and PenGallery was a pleasure to deal with. I'm impressed, seriously impressed.

I have a feeling I'll be back for more pens in the future.

At a Glance:

Contact: PenGallery.com
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5



Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

PostMuse said...

Lamy Safari will be my very first fountain pen. I expect it will be delivered next Tuesday. Very excited :-)

Sam said...

(dancing about from foot to foot like a small excited child) Whatcha gettin', whatcha gettin'? :)

I have four Safaris and an Al-Star now - love 'em all; very reliable and great to use, even with my preference for Fine or Extra Fine nibs.

Woodworker said...

Well, Sam I had the same great experience with that beautifull pen-shop. Three days from Malaysia to the Netherlands.

Sam said...

Excellent! I'm so glad you had the same great experience as I did. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails